Monday, September 24, 2012

Single Serve Pumpkin Oatmeal




Listen, I'm not a big oatmeal girl. But I'm willing to get into it for the sake of my health. It gets hard, though, finding a recipe without loosing the healthy aspect of the meal.

This recipe, originally from About.com, fed a family of four. Which not only doesn't exist in this house, but I cook just for this girl. So I took this Pinterest find and adapted it for one.


Pumpkin Oatmeal
adapted from a recipe by Fiona Haynes, About.com 

Yields: 1 serving

Ingredients
1/2 c. Oats
3/4 c. Low fat or Nonfat Milk (I used 1%)
2 tbsp. Pumpkin Puree
10 g. Raisins Don't hate me because I weigh my food.
1 pinch Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 smidgeon Ground Cinnamon

Or do what I did: just sprinkle that shit on top until you're satisfied.

*Also, brown sugar OR sugar-free syrup if needed. I needed a little towards the end.

Directions
Place oatmeal in a microwave safe bowl and stir in milk. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE BOWL! I'm not kidding. My oats erupted all over my microwave plate. Which reminds me... I forgot to clean that up. Oops!

After you scrape your oats and milk back into your bowl, stir in the pumpkin puree and spices. Nuke it again for another 40 seconds. (It's totally safe this time.) Once done, stir in the raisons. Add sweetener if you'd like, and EAT THAT SHIT UP. Or struggle through the foreign texture that is oatmeal as I did.

About halfway thru, I added a tiny bit of sugar-free syrup. Made it better without adding nearly any calories, but it's really the mush part that gets me. Perhaps next time I'll add a little bit of chopped pecans on top. Mmm...

My nutrition calculations:

Per recipe/serving : Calories: 275.8, Total Fat: 5g (Sat: 1.6g, Trans: 0g), Cholesterol: 7.5mg, Sodium: 101.3mg, Potassium: 379mg, Total Carbs: 47g (Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 18.3g), Protein: 11.8g

Vitamin A: 82.5%, Vitamin C: 3.6%, Calcium: 24%, Iron: 12.1%


Have any good, healthy oatmeal recipes? Let me know!

No comments: