Sunday, September 30, 2012

Long Trail Pumpkin Ales: a long trip and a short sip later...

Two weeks ago, I visited my beautiful cousin in Rutland, VT for her wedding. Instead of taking the awfully boring ride back on the train, I met up with boyfriend and we made a mini road trip out of the return home.

Our first stop--hardly half an hour from where I had stayed--was Long Trail Brewery.

Similar to Iron Hill Brewery, which is local to me, Long Trail is both a brewing company and a restaurant. So we stayed for lunch--and it was probably the best decision of the whole trip.

The food was OUTSTANDING! I started with their signature Long Trail Cheddar Ale Soup followed by the Long Trail Bratwurst. (No, not everything on the menu starts with "Long Trail.") I've had PA Dutch sleeved meat--I've even had my share in Germany--but this was the best. To be completely fair, my taste palate has greatly expanded since my previous sleeved meat tastings... Nonetheless, the "cooked onions & maple mustard" are surely what set it over the top.

To accompany my meal, I ordered a pint of Long Trail's Imperial Pumpkin from their Brewmaster Series of ales.

Click here to learn more about Imperial Pumpkin

The Imperial Pumpkin is an English Strong Ale with an ABV of 8%. While not strong on pumpkin flavor, I really enjoyed this beer! It had all the right spices and tipped more towards the malty end rather than hoppy. According to Long Trail's site, Imperial Pumpkin was brewed with 2-Row, Wheat, Caramel 80L, and Caramunich malts with Nugget, Mt. Hood and Willamette hops. (I feel like I'm in Pineapple Express...) Their description:

Long Trail Imperial Pumpkin Ale is the latest introduction  to the Long Trail Brewmaster Series. This limited release seasonal treat is small batch brewed with pumpkins, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves with increased malts and a touch of bitterness for the perfect balance.

Well balanced, indeed. Nice job, Long Trail!

After our meal, we wondered around a bit and headed up to the indoor viewing balcony to see the vats. It was nice, but certainly not worthy of the term "tour" they throw around on the website, even if prefaced with "self-guided." They did have a pretty sweet (giant) graphic hanging in the restaurant, though, that talked about their brewing process:


A few days later, while at home, I remembered that I picked up a bottle of Long Trail's Pumpkin Ale prior to my trip and had it sitting in my fridge! Cracked it open. Poured in my branded Long Trail glass that I purchased at the brewery. Took a sip. Took another sip. One more. Dumped it. Maybe it had just been sitting too long... Ultimately, not my thang. It drank more like a light beer, which I am not at all fond of. I decided it wasn't worth the calorie intake. Ah, well. Their Imperial Pumpkin was certainly winner in my book, if that helps.

No comments: