Saturday, November 21, 2009

It's a Stretch! Saturdays: Body Worlds 2 & The Brain

This past week, I had the opportunity to sneak around Body Worlds 2 & The Brain at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.  I was fortunate to see the original BW exhibit when it came through a few years ago on the very last night, but the horse had already left, which apparently was the paramount of the whole show...  But this made up for it!



This version of the exhibit made possible by Gunther von Hagens focuses on the brain, with attention to the rest of the human body as well as those of animals'.  Take a minute to read up on the man and all that he's done: interesting and amazing!

When I first entered the exhibit, it all looked pretty familiar to me, but never-the-less exciting!  This is an exhibit that will never get old for me.  While I was the only one in there besides a guard here or there, I was not alone.  Spread out from each other were a pair of ice skaters, a gymnast, a slightly hefty man, a woman with child, a skateboarder, and much much more!

There was a moment where I had come to the exit and sighed in disappointment.  Had it shrunk considerably since the last version of the exhibit?  And then I saw it: "Exhibit Continues" with an arrow.  It continued right on up to another floor.  !!!!

As I entered the next room, it was as if I was a child again.  I forgot about the last toy I missed out on (the horse) and only saw what was in front of me: a camel.  Without saying too much, in hopes of provoking you to go see it for yourself, the gigantic camel (or is that how big they all are?...) was dissected and positioned in such a way as to create a wonderful illusion of an image.  You must see this!  Definitely my favorite part and the piece I tell everyone about most.

Even though I had seen the first Body Worlds exhibit, this was no let down at all.  If I've convinced you ;) or you've been thinking about going, visit the Franklin Institute website for more details.  Tickets can be purchased at the site, on Ticketmaster, or over the phone.  However you do it, just do it!

Have you seen Body Words 2 & The Brain?  Let me know what you think!

No comments: