Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Miscellaneous Wednesdays: Pt. 1 of my H1N1 report on the Holidays

For my journalism class, I have taken on a story involving H1N1 (and the flu season) and its impact on the holidays this year.  Keep checking back as I'll be posting more of my article as I build onto it for class.




For this part, I've replaced the interviewee's name, for her privacy and my amusement, with Minerva McGonagall...


H1N1 has yet to hit its peak, but will the upcoming holidays bring  it on?
“Halloween is going to be less dangerous where H1N1 is concerned than a Friday night dance, where a bunch of kids are packed into a hot sweaty cafeteria jumping up and down and possibly sharing spit and doing some other things,” says [Hogwarts] childcare administrator, [Minerva McGonagall].  The health department, along with the CDC, has been sending out alerts since this past spring to child care facilities, preparing them for this year’s flu season, including Halloween.
“First and foremost, be aware of your own children,” Ms. McGonagall warned.  “It’s not always about what you’re going to get from somebody else, but what you could possibly be spreading.”  The outdoor quality of Halloween will work in favor for this holiday.  Health services do suggest “scooping” of candy for the children so that the possibility of transferring germs is decreased as much as possible.
The real H1N1 danger seems to be coming with the Thanksgiving and December homecomings. “Colleges are a big melting pot,” states McGonagall.  During August, colleges erupted with flu cases when students returned to campus.  Intimate family gatherings for the holidays only hold the same potential danger.   “Families don’t normally social distance.  It’s a lot of touchy-feely.  That’s what the holidays are all about.  The hug, the kiss, the ‘Ooh, taste this.’  I think it’s just a breeding ground, but what can you do?”
In general for this flu season, Ms. McGonagall suggests washing hands routinely and social distancing.  But mostly, “They just need to be aware.”

2 comments:

good sense in daily life said...

Trick or Treating last night, came across someone dressed up as the H1N1 virus, I joked w/ him that if he was the vaccination he may be more frightening...he stretched out his shirt which read "I won't kill you but the shot will" (I totally do not endorse but do advise education). We laughed. I'll be doing an H1N1 update on my Hub pages soon, check out my blog if you get a chance.
Think your sight is great, hope you keep it going!

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much! Day 1 after Halloween: the true test begins... ;)