Saturday, October 10, 2009

It's a Stretch! Saturdays: Vampires!


Ah, the vampire. A blood-sucking, mind-ravaging, ancient sensation quite often related to Halloween. And boy, do I love 'em!
I thought I'd use today to mention which vamp craze I'm stuck on right now.


I love True Blood! (For those of you who didn't know...) After I got through Twilight and saw the film, I needed something to make me love the vampire again that didn't sparkle. I started reading Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series, better known as the True Blood series. The plot is more involved, less pathetic, and a whole lot more grownup than Twilight, so be ready!

The best part about True Blood is that you can enjoy both the books and show. In the series of novels, Sookie is smart, aware, but not overly confident. While she's in her late 20s, the mind-reader has sort of just begun to be able to live her life. I find it interesting, funny, and trashy good fun! Not unlike the show...

In True Blood, the HBO special, the plot follows the general direction of the books but still leaves room for surprises. The writers are able to play around with the characters in a way that pleases the audience and appeases those who've already read the books. Sookie Stackhouse is marginally dumber in the show, but it's forgivable. I happened to already be an Anna Paquin fan when I first started to watch. And now, I can't wait for Season 3!

If you've read the books or watch the series, I'd LOVE to hear what you think!!

Links:

Also, if you're big into score, I HIGHLY suggest taking a listen to the True Blood score, performed by Nathan Barr. The albums is available on iTunes, which is where I got it - half as cheap as if you purchased a physical copy from HBO.com. Truly beautiful! I haven't stopped listening to it for a month. Bill's Entrance is one of my favorite tracks, but I love them all. (Except for the first one...) Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The site looks great!! I think I am going to try to play "ghosts in the graveyard" with the kiddies! I was also looking through some of the reciepes you had listed and I think there are some that the kids are going to love to help make and help eat!! We will definitely be coming back to this site for some more fun halloween ideas!

Jennifer said...

Thanks!! I'm still looking for someone to help with the layout. Hoping to find someone that will work for baked goods... ;)