Sunday, October 21, 2012

Candy Corn Cupcakes

Candy Corn Cupcakes

I first saw the idea for a candy corn cake on Pinterest, and while it was a cute idea, I wasn't immediately compelled to replicate it. However, I thought I could adapt the idea to create a great easy way to make cupcakes for my Halloween party. They wouldn't be labor-intensive, but would have a nice finished look. The outcome wasn't perfect, but it didn't disappoint either! 

Here's how I made them:

Pick up a box of yellow cake mix and create the batter as per the instructions. (I prefer using Duncan when going the boxed cake route--you'll only need to add eggs and oil.)

Divide the batter in two. With one half, spoon into (2 dozen) greased tins. I chose to forgo baking cups this time, but I would use them if I had found candy corn themed ones in time. About a tablespoon goes into each cup. 


Use orange food coloring to tint the second half of batter. Add the same amount--about a tablespoon--to each cup.


Pop the tins into the oven according to your boxed cake instructions.  When done, allow them to cool on wire racks for about 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cupcakes from the tins. (Or bang them viciously on the counter until they release their demon grips.)

Using a batch of medium consistency buttercream frosting*, pipe a swirl on each cupcake with a Wilton 2D tip. Top with orange + yellow bead sprinkles and 2 candy corn.


Display!



--------------------------------

Medium Consistency Buttercream Frosting
Makes 1 batch 
(I made 2 batches for the Candy Corn Cupcakes)

In a standing mixer, cream 1 cup vegetable shortening with 1/2 tsp butter flavoring, 1/2 tsp clear vanilla flavoring and 2 tbs water.

Add 1 tbs meringue powder and 1 lb. confectioners sugar. You'll want to add the powder slowly while keeping a towel over the mixer.

Add 1 more tbs water and mix on medium until smooth. Try not to overmix, though, or you'll end up with hole-y icing (due to too much air integration.) 



No comments: