Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Little History for Thursdays: A celebration around the world!

I "stumbled" across a page on Boston.com a couple days ago entitled, "Days of the Dead - The Big Picture."  It's a compilation of tremendously moving photos (37 all together) from various countries depicting different celebrations having to do with Halloween, All Saints' Day, All Souls' Day, Dia de los Muertos and so on.

Please, take a few minutes to look at the photos on the site.  (The pictures are much larger and of much higher quality there.)  They are truly amazing and really show a broad picture, or the bigger picture, of what Halloween means to the world!

I'm going to take the risk of posting some of these pictures purely for commentary purposes.  I don't mean to infringe on any copyrights!

Some of my favorites:


(Photo credit: JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images)

#8 - The Obamas celebrate Halloween at the White House!  What I really like about this picture are the presidential couple's expressions.  Michelle Obama has this fierce, almost growling, look on her face that perfectly fits her leopardess outfit!

(Photo credit:AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

#21 - This photo shows a close-up of Haitian's face painted for a voodoo ritual for Day of the Dead celebrations.  There is a strong intensity in his face.  After a while, I looked up from his eyes to see a pair of fashionably large sun glasses perched atop of his fedora.  It made me smile :)

(Photo credit: AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)

#29 - Here is a scene that I would actually like to see more of in the States.  In America we have such a hushed respect for the dead that is too depressing for my liking, while most South & Central American regions celebrate their dead for the lives they lived and touched.  This picture shows a cemetery beautifully lit up and decorated for an old Day of the Dead tradition.

(Photo credit: Matt Cardy/Getty Images)

#37 - It's a lemur and a Jack-o'-Lantern.  No other explanation needed.

This article has inspired me to include a lot of around-the-world traditions to my "History" day.  What do you think?

No comments: